Lobal cooling

June 21, 2011

A denialist's brain: recent scans show evidence of cooling

The Man who writes stuff like this…

Sure Glenn Beck has his faults but they are vastly outweighed by his strengths: his fearlessness in speaking truth to power; his gift for explaining political ideas in a way that galvanises the attention of Middle America; his sheer entertainment value

And this…

the values of the eugenics movement and of the modern green movement are closely connected

Brings you this:

It’s official: a new Ice Age is on its way. In what has been described as “the science story of the century”, heavyweight US solar physicists have announced that the sun is heading for a prolonged period of low activity. This makes global cooling a much more plausible prospect in the next few decades than global warming.

Sadly one of the heavyweight US solar physicists (only heavyweight when they’re telling you what you want to hear, it seems) has had to issue a follow-up statement [see bottom of page]:

We are NOT predicting a mini-ice age. We are predicting the behavior of the solar cycle. In my opinion, it is a huge leap from that to an abrupt global cooling, since the connections between solar activity and climate are still very poorly understood. My understanding is that current calculations suggest only a 0.3 degree C decrease from a Maunder-like minimum, too small for an ice age. It is unfortunate that the global warming/cooling studies have become so politically polarizing.

Delingpole is one of the ringleaders of the denialist movement and when any of his claims about climate science is examined it leads to a similar misinterpretation/incontrovertible lie. But good on them for winning the propaganda war.

Advertisements

The moral regression of Melanie Phillips

May 6, 2010

I have read the journalistic nonsense of Melanie Phillips for some years and it continues to surprise me how she actually gets away with it. She is a big fish in the conservative movement but in a riposte to Jonathan Freedland she coyly denied this:

Jonathan justifies his attack by claiming that I have massive influence. Would that it were so! I remain, alas, merely one journalist trying to tell the truth as I see it. Jonathan can breathe easily again.

Whatever the scale of her influence in 2007, and it was big, her influence is indeed massive in 2010: Lecturing widely, contributing to Fox News, a Daily Mail column, blogging at the Spectator, writing for the Jewish Chronicle, appearing on Question Time and BBC 4’s Moral Maze, promoting books–that’s massive. Liberal-minded people must watch with horror as her influence expands and the rhetoric intensifies. This week alone has seen her launch a new book as well as having a cover story in the Spectator.

Her big theme (aside from the Middle East, a subject for another day), abundantly reinforced throughout her writing, is that atheism, rationalism and the like are bad and Judeo-Christian voodoo is actually authentic reason. This is an attempt by one journalist to rewrite three millenia of philosophy. All the brilliant philosophers have been wasting their brains since Christianity because Phillips has figured it all out. Read the rest of this entry »


Birth of a conspiracy theory

March 2, 2010

2009 was the year of the conspiracy theory. They continue to spawn, facilitated by the world-wide pleb. So I thought I’d have a go…

What’s often forgotten about the history of the Middle East is that it wasn’t always Jews and Christians against Moslems. When Moslems took over Jerusalem the Jews rejoiced because the Moslems allowed them to live as they were, whereas the Christians antagonised them. Christians always despised Jews since the Jews crucified Christ and Christianity was seen as superior to Judaism. Islam, on the other hand, arose independently and as such had no doctrinal bias against Judaism. In fact, the two were remarkably compatible and had shared values and culture.

If you were told ten years ago that a Moslem would be the president of the USA and his secretary of defense a Jew, you’d have laughed. We know Obama’s a Moslem because his middle name is Hussein and he attended a madrassa. His birth cert has never been revealed because it shows that he was born in Kenya, not Hawaii, to a Moslem father.

What will shock you is that this is too weird to be a coincidence. A Moslem and a Jew in control of the world’s largest military? You mean those sworn religious enemies?

Most of us have been duped by the myth that there is a war between Israel and Islam. It’s not your fault that you believe this to be the case–you have been brainwashed by years of propaganda purporting to show a real and grave concept. There isn’t one. If the Arab world wanted to wipe out Israel they would have done it years ago. So why didn’t they? Israel and the Islamists are actually conspiring together to destabilise the world in order to wipe out their mutual enemies. Read the rest of this entry »


Yet another climate sceptic lie

February 15, 2010

Since Saturday the Phil Jones’ Q&A on the BBC news website has been studiously analysed by the mental bloggers and inept hacks, with predictable results.

The Express trumphally heralds a great retreat:

No it’s not.

.

The Daily Mail describes a U-turn with this headline:

Climategate U-turn as scientist at centre of row admits: There has been no global warming since 1995

No he didn’t.

They also had a Mail on Sunday Commentary with this heading:

The professor’s amazing climate change retreat

No it’s not.

.

This is the original Q&A exchange:

B – Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

Yes, but only just. I also calculated the trend for the period 1995 to 2009. This trend (0.12C per decade) is positive, but not significant at the 95% significance level. The positive trend is quite close to the significance level. Achieving statistical significance in scientific terms is much more likely for longer periods, and much less likely for shorter periods.

And this is what the climate change sceptic/mendacious newspaper sees:

B – Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

Yes, hje pldw klsl. O lwps clsoapedw bws aqlds ops hew skowie 1854 yu 2900. Hisd zmlxo (x.xx lew cnise) pa lowsipre, ncv mls qpvndkrie as pld xx% ampowus&sa wopol. Mne ghe£nmw powsl ml clpsaw nc re lkplodesi&w lposw. Cpxoews dioewjnf almpsideeve os clpoesfd nmnwa os micdj poer lmoes dsa lmode werop, nds ct£q wpls nvb lpoaud nmcds.


This is a very big lie. Professor Jones clearly describes a warming trend but calls it statistically insignificant because it doesn’t meet the rigorous criteria of scientific methodology. It’s depressing that the media aren’t similarly scrupulous.

And just this evening, FOX News described the no-warming trend and wheeled on a baulking head from the Cato institute for support; Cato is a pro-free-market spawning ground for fabulously tendentious ideas on how to erode government and fill the void with capitalist alternatives, it is not a scientific body but has been called upon by FOX to vomit its sceptical bile onto the climate ‘debate’.

This really is the reengineering of reality.


Snow joke for Broken Britain

February 10, 2010

Another snow story in the Daily Mail.

They love articles about extreme weather, tabloid readers. Especially snow and ice.  Bad weather and the UK’s apparent inability to endure it satisfies a tabloid reader in a way that few stories can.

They can believe that Britain is broken; that the emasculated modern man cannot handle a snow shovel; and even the few real men remaining can’t handle a snow shovel because clearing the path outside their doors makes them liable for any accidents because of PCgone mad/yuman rights obsessed local councils; that when they were young they walked barefoot to school through ten-metre snowdrifts; that the Canadians laugh at them because in Canada they walk barefoot to work every day through ten-metre snowdrifts; that there isn’t enough salt; that there isn’t enough grit; that there isn’t enough food; that Nu Liebour is useless; that there is a winter-of-discontentish feeling in the air which might portend a Conservative landslide; that the rubbish is piling up uncollected; that the UK’s unpreparedness is Gordon Brown’s fault; that global warming is a myth because it’s a bad winter; that everywhere is chaos; that there still isn’t enough salt; there still isn’t enough grit.

Snow stories speak to every tabloid reader’s inner world’s-gone-mad.

Those who don’t appreciate the runic power of snow can comfort themselves that at least occasionally someone can smuggle a comment like this past the moderators:

I remember having eight inches when my husband was alive.

– Marjorie Boswell, Basingstoke, 10/2/2010 0:11

Click to rate Rating   4

Ahh. Thanks, Marjorie.


Kill yourself, professor Jones

February 7, 2010

It seems that nothing gets a counter-enlightenment lunatic more exercised than climate change science.

The Sunday Times has an exclusive interview with professor Phil Jones where he reveals that he contemplated suicide after the CRU emails went public.

Unsurprisingly the article has attracted hundreds of nutcases, conspiracy theorists and maniacal religious cretins to add their splenetic wisdom to the ‘debate’. Accepting that a selection bias inheres in any internet comment thread, it is wise not to see them as representative of anything. But sometimes the vitriol is startling. Here’s a selection of comments whose haughty authors lament that professor Jones didn’t act on his suicidal thoughts. All selected from the first 60 comments alone.

mark Heath wrote:
I have two choices for the prof! I can lend him my 9MM or I can give him a rope. One less communist radical on earth to destroy our economy and our lives. We just had 20″ of snow in the mid atlantic. Is this global warming? These radicals are all nuts and need to be shut down. Suicide is an option!!!!
February 7, 2010 4:58 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk
Recommend? (94)

joe pane wrote:
It’s time Professor Jones for you to finish your plan.
February 7, 2010 2:31 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk
Recommend? (39)

RJ VC wrote:
Professor Jones,
May I quote from the late Tom Lantos: “Well at least Admiral Bourda had the honor to commit suicide.”
February 7, 2010 2:03 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk
Recommend? (21)

Michael Lee wrote:
I do hope that before he does the honorable thing, he’ll advise Al Gore to do the same, and perhaps provide him the means.

The sad but unmistakable fact of the matter is that any enterprise associated with politicians and given access to tax money is going to become utterly corrupt and lead to death and destruction.

In my view this can only be corrected by destroying more politicians, and their hirelings. Fortunately at least in the U.S. we have a few that destroy themselves — but not nearly enough.
February 7, 2010 2:04 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk
Recommend? (31)

Up1 Up wrote:
I thought of killing myself, says climate scandal professor Phil Jones

Why didn’t you?
Because you are a coward!
Just like the rest of your free loading, elitist,socialist hack buddies living off free money from socialist governments to which you sell your soul and junk science!!!
Go to hell and take your ilk with you!
Miserable lowlife scum!
February 7, 2010 2:05 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk
Recommend? (65)

JOSEPH KLEIN wrote:
It’s not too late, Phil. You say you are a scientist? Perhaps you were.
February 7, 2010 1:54 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk
Recommend? (21)



New evidence that global warming is not man-made

December 16, 2009

A study has been published which lists one hundred reasons why the scientific case for anthropogenic global warming is no longer tenable. The new data will be seen as further evidence that the global climate is in fact stable or even entering a cooling  period.

The study 100 Reasons why the ‘ Copenhagen ’ Governments and other proponents of “man-made” Global Warming theory of Climate Change are completely wrong appeared in the journal The Daily Express.

The author of the study, Jim McConalogue, a political analyst affiliated to the European Foundation, a Euro-sceptic think-tank, told The Express, “This demonstrates how tenuous, improper and indeed false the scientific and political claims are for man-made global warming.”

The study, originally published in the European Foundation’s peer-reviewed The European Journal, examines new data-sets previously thought to be unrelated to climate change. The study asks, “Why should politicians devote our scarce resources in a globally competitive world to a false and ill-defined problem, whilst ignoring the real problems the entire planet faces, such as: extreme poverty, hunger, disease or terrorism.”

McConalogue is an acclaimed climate expert best known for his seminal paper Ireland’s 100 Reasons to Vote ‘No’ to the Lisbon treaty.